Friday, June 11, 2010

Exposure

I was chatting with a friend of mine from church yesterday about my upcoming short story collection. She was thrilled with the title (Birds, Bees, & Church Trailer Thieves) and very excited to read it. Which is encouraging. However, there's quite a mix of stories in the book. Many of them are PG-13. I use some crude language. I deal with some darkness.
For those who know me well, this will not be a surprise. But for those who are not as close to me, this will be a surprise, I suspect. It makes me a little nervous to think that I'm opening up a whole side of me to the public. And not just to the public, but to my local community! I know people will form opinions of me based on my writing. It will affect opinions of people who just peripherally know me. Quite possibly some people will think that some of the stories are autobiographical, although none of them are.
Other writers: do you get nervous when people in your local community are about to read your book?

1 comment:

  1. I believe I would feel a bit nervous, but I haven't released stories publicly, though I have read many poems. I find it easier to read poems to strangers than to acquaintances sometimes. If I get focused on how I'm being received then, it's the opinions of the people I know a little and people closest to me that I most worry about. On the other hand, if I focus on just being the real, authentic me, it can also be freeing to put my work out there, finally, whatever people say.

    ReplyDelete