Saturday, April 18, 2015

Q is for Querulous

This is one of those pretentious $20 words that I know and understand but don’t ever use. I wasn’t 100% sure of the pronunciation until I looked it up – but that’s very common for me. I’ve always read books that were above my school level, which means I spent a lot of time learning words only through context. And context never gives proper pronunciation. In addition, I totally slacked off when learning phonics, considering it a strange abstract exercise with no relevance to my life. So I don’t always say words correctly.

But back to the word of the day! Living with a toddler means I get to experience querulousness almost daily. Living with myself living with a toddler means I get to hear a querulous tone in my voice every day. Any guesses as to the meaning?

The online dictionary informs me that querulous rhymes with perilous, giving me very important information about how to say it. Maybe I should’ve read poetry instead of books – then I might be able to say all the words I can read! But it would have to be older rhyming poetry.

And now for my finale, a limerick!

There once was a child who was querulous,
Who also could be very garrulous.
When it came time to dine
In a restaurant so fine,
His parents thought it really quite perilous.

2 comments:

  1. Great limerick - I personally am horrible at poetry! -http://50andfabulousblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete